Monday, September 19, 2011

My brain's on empty

No, Case, this is not about the lack of sleep I am presently experiencing. This is a short lesson in taking care of an automobile. Short because it's simple, and simple because your dad knows next to nothing about cars. Although I am stunningly adept at finding myself in car-related fiascos of various kinds.

And that is the perfect segue.

OK, here it is: Don't forget to regularly put gas in whatever you drive (I assume hover cars will need gas). Short. Simple. But more complex than it sounds for some of us. Your dad has a sordid history of running out of gas (if the dry fuel line of my old S-10 pickup could talk). Really, no one of legal driving age should ever run out of gas more than, say, twice in a lifetime. I've run out of gas twice in one day. I want you to follow my example on certain things. On this, I'd prefer you didn't.

Today on the way to work, I was thinking about how beautiful it was outside, how happy I am with our family (despite the whole sleep thing) and how unfair it was that I wasn't going to win the weekly NFL picks pool despite getting 13 of the 14 day games right. Then I noticed the bright orange "LOW FUEL" light on the dashboard. I was 6 miles from the nearest gas station and it didn't look good. Luckily, I made it to the Exxon station on fumes and spared myself the embarrassment of having to leave my car on the side of the road and, worse, making a phone call to your mom to come and pick me up (you think some of the looks she gives you are intimidating).

Thirty-nine-year-olds with jobs should never find themselves trudging along a random stretch of road carrying $1.78 in gas as other (smarter) drivers fly by and laugh (rightfully) at the idiot with the red can.

OK, this wasn't as short as I thought it would be (it never is). But to recap, make sure your car has enough gas to get from Point A to Point B. Short. Simple.

That's pretty much all the automotive advice I can offer. Well, that and NEVER swing a sledgehammer on a hot, sweaty day when your car hood is within 10 feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment