Saturday, October 1, 2011

Simple. Beautiful.

October broke the way it was meant to, as a cool, clear day that makes you feel a little more alive than usual.

Case slept in for a (welcome) change, so Mom and Dad didn't get up and around until after noon. Eventually, we ambled down the stairs and milled around the driveway while Edgar sniffed his way through a couple neighboring yards.

While we stood there -- both of us still happily wearing the clothes we had slept in -- I held Case in my arms and we talked, about nothing in particular.

There wasn't anything special about the moment, except for one thing:  It reminded me how wonderful this life is.

The experience of being a father and raising a family, despite the lack of sleep, my genetic penchant for worry and the specter of never-ending challenges both small and large, is greater than anything I've ever done and ever will do.I really wouldn't trade it for anything.

I hope that there is much more to my life, that I may succeed in many of the ways I've envisioned over the years. But if none of those dreams come true, I will still be happy. Happy I was given the opportunity to be a good man to a good wife, a baby boy (at least) and a one-of-a-kind best friend. Happy that no matter what else I may do, being a family man will always top the list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment