Monday, October 31, 2011

The write stuff

Case,

As is typical, I have 47 things swirling around in my head that I want to write about, but I'm still "writing" all of them up there. I originally planned to write here every day. Then you were born and I realized how ridiculous a plan that was. For two reasons: One, raising a child is really tiring and time-consuming (but more than equally gratifying). But even if it wasn't, I've never been the type to do anything in the realm of creativity on a schedule. That's not the way I operate. Maybe you'll be that way, too. I can't say if that's a good or bad thing because I have no experience with a mental regimen. I'm better with fits of inspiration (some would say I'm just better with fits). When the mood strikes, I'll empty some semblance of what I've been shaping onto a page, a screen, a napkin that's handy. I may build on a particular item afterward, but usually, once I decide to make my thoughts real, I move on to the next set of maleable ideas. Doing that helps me keep a sort of mental checklist. However, I'll occasionally provide a preview of what I'm thinking as a way to kick-start the process, to give myself an extra bit of motivation. I figure if anyone else sees those thoughts, I owe it to them to reach a conclusion. Lately, I've had a few specific thoughts about the family taking up my space and time. Once I write this down, I'll be forced to finish it. If there's a lesson here, that's it. Once you start something that means anything to you, even if that something starts as a small thought in your head, finish it. And regardless of the terms you have set for what constitutes finishing, you will, for a moment, hopefully significantly longer, swell with the pride of accomplishment. My writing has a special significance to me, and while only a few people may ever get to see it, it means something. Each time I finish what I began "writing" in my head, it reminds me what a person is capable of when they, as I have stated before, put their mind to a thing.

In the middle of the whirlwind
there's calm before the storm
Silence in that moment
when many thoughts are born

Where will our journey take us?
What will tomorrow bring?
What's next to discover?
What next will we sing?

In the middle of the kitchen,
the sacrifice we make
Shaking up reality,
trying to awake

To be continued,
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment