Monday, February 4, 2013

Exercise in futility?

Case,

A little insight into your dad and his unique ways. The following is posted verbatim from the original Internet venue on which I wrote it (I wonder if Facebook will exist when you get around to reading this). This particular set of events happened last week. Sometimes you just have to make the best of a weird situation.

So Ashly was taking Case to the library about a mile or so down the road while I was going to the gym to show off in front of senior citizens. I waited until she was ready to go so I could help her with Case. I picked up the boy and we left the house. When we reached her car in the parking lot, I did what I always do — put my keys on the roof so I could more easily get Case into his car seat. It's become so instinctual to do this with my keys. I don't even think about it. Literally. Anyway, I placed Case in the seat, complaining as I am apt to do about the straps being twisted while Ashly stood behind me, presumably make a kicking motion toward my backside. After getting the boy secured, I closed the door, walked around to the driver's side with Ashly, said goodbye and started walking toward the gym as they pulled away. I was jamming out to Pantera on the way, free of any significant thought. Near the end of "Becoming," I approached the door to the building that houses the gym. I reached for my keys and ... "Oh, shit!" I thought. I knew immediately what I had done. So I started running. Across the lawn. Through the parking lot. Three blocks south to the light once I reached the street. Stopped for a few moments before starting up again. About four more blocks uphill. Stopped again to cross the street. A few more blocks to a major intersection. Stopped again to wait for the light. A few more blocks down a dead end street. Finally, after a mile or so, sweaty and in a surprisingly good mood, I reached the library. I saw Ashly's car. I jogged up and noticed -- hanging by the apartment security door fob in a crevice on the back edge of the hood -- my keys. I went inside, explained myself, told Ashly I had lost all right to ever question her about being scatter-brained, waved goodbye to Case, walked back outside and ran all the way back home. All in all, a great workout.

Love,
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment