Sunday, February 16, 2014

Global Parenting System?

Case,

Driving from Richmond to work in D.C. today, I took the state highway instead of the interstate. All things being equal, the state highway takes about 30 minutes longer. But things are never equal.

Most people take the main road, and "most people" inevitably means more problems. So the road less traveled is often your best bet. But you don't take that path lightly.

The road less traveled is for taking in the scenery, seeing the sights AND getting to your destination without the avoidable hassles presented by following the masses. There has to be a purpose. Otherwise, you're just veering of course for no reason, and you will end up lost in the middle of nowhere, literally and figuratively — the latter a circumstance that cannot be fixed by a GPS.

Taking the road less traveled is seen as a noble pursuit, but there are pitfalls. I envisioned myself as a noble traveler for many years. I had no fear of veering off course, but more often than not, I was afraid of following through with my chosen path. Too many times I didn't trust my instincts, and I would turn around and return to a familiar place. That prevented me from getting lost for too long, but it also prevented me from ever finding what I was looking for.

I didn't follow through until I took the leap of faith to follow through on the path that led me to your mother. It was the best decision I ever made, but it was not without doubt, and there were no guarantees. And that's the thing with taking the road less traveled. It's not always easier. In fact, it's rarely easy. It presents its own challenges, and sometimes it does take an extra 30 minutes. Or, in my case, 20 years.

There's nothing wrong with taking the main road and the degree of certainty that comes with it. God knows I made things hard on myself by my consistent refusal to do so. Sometimes the main road is the only way to get where you're going.

There's a reason the road less traveled is less traveled. It's not for everyone. But if you decide to take a different path in life, the key is to believe in yourself and believe in your sense of direction, knowing that, ultimately, you're on a path that will result in happiness and fulfillment.

Whatever you decide, travel bold and be safe.

Love,
Dad


No comments:

Post a Comment