Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Big day, part 2

Case,

We've been home two minutes, and I'm already back in my sweats and sleeveless shirt. You're still in your christening suit, complete with shoes that have fancy crosses embroidered on the soles. It's the first time you've worn shoes without kicking them off in minutes (it's a big day in more than one way!). I'm guessing you'd be kicking these off if you were awake, but it seems you finally hit the wall (Well, typing that last sentence appears to have jinxed you, as you're now starting to stir). And there we go. Mom just took your shoes off.

I hope you grab a nap before tonight's meet-as-many-Pallisters-as-Uncle-Mark-can-fit-in-his-house-pre-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving dinner. You've had a long few days. We left for Chicago on Sunday night after I got off work, drove a couple hours and stopped for the night in some town in Maryland. I think it was Cumberland, but it doesn't matter. Every town in Maryland except for Annapolis is terrible. Luckily, we live in Annapolis. West Virginia, when it takes the time to ponder its place in the world, thinks, "At least I'm not Maryland." We got up Monday morning and headed to Indianapolis. You were awesome for the eight-plus hours, including a stop for lunch in Wheeling, a mountain town/city in the aforementioned West Virginia. You were the hit of Coleman's Fish Market. After a nice night in Indy with your mom's oldest friend and her wondeful family, we got up even earlier Tuesday to drive the final few hours to Chicago (Real quick: on your first trip through the Windy City, here's what you missed: Sox Park, the Sears Tower, the Hancock Building, O'Hare International Airport, approximately 23,000 cars, the same number of banquet halls and one annoyingly slow train). Anyway, your dad gets quite impatient when he gets that close, and I was especially anxious for you to meet your Grandpa Pallister (more later on that moment, which was probably the most bittersweet of my life).

Three ounces of formula later, you've now gone back to sleep and I'm still typing. Back to your christening after that lengthy verbal tangent. It went swimmingly, despite the awkwardness of having to stand next to your Godfather (Uncle Mark) the whole time just two days after I suffered a crushing fantasy football defeat to him that essentially ended my playoff hopes. All kidding aside, I am very thankful to Mark and your Aunt Patti, who stood in for your Godmother Marnie, who I believe was surfing in Hawaii during the ceremony. As I suspected, you looked great. The shoes, the vest, the bow tie. Even the hat that made you look like you were going to a Czechoslovakian disco (look up the Saturday Night Live reference) was a memorable accessory. 

You've now awoken, and damn if you don't look like the coolest baby in the world rocking your tie and pacifier as if you were born with them. I'm so proud of you, Magoo. I can't wait for us to share more big days. Hopefully, though, we can both dress down a bit for the next few. :)

Love,
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment